Exhibitions

Past Exhibitions

FRAGMENTED MIRROR, EXHIBITION OF JEWISH ARTISTS, BERLIN 1907

FRAGMENTED MIRROR, EXHIBITION OF JEWISH ARTISTS, BERLIN, 1907

In 1907, an exhibition of Jewish artists opened in Berlin. Reflecting the Berlin Jewish community which sponsored it, it was replete with contradictions and paradoxes: Jewish, but not religious; nationalist, but not Zionist; assimilated and German, but also with works by East European Jews. Artists included Lesser Ury, Josef Israëls, Pissarro, Maurycy Gottlieb, Samuel Hirszenberg and many more. Twelve of the 200 works - paintings and sculptures -  as well as works of over half of the artists presented at the Berlin exhibition are in the collection of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art and constitute this exhibition’s focus, with loans from private and public collections.

View Works

 

Catalogue

Exhibition Checklist

 

Jokes and Satire

1907 Press Reviews

 

OPENING DATE:

Tuesday 16 June 2009

CLOSING DATE:

Saturday 10 October 2009

LOCATION:

Simon and Marie Jaglom Pavilion

CURATOR:

Dr. Batsheva Goldman Ida

CREDITS:

Major funding was provided by The David Berg Foundation, New York, and an anonymous donor. "Café Bauer" special project with the assistance of the German Embassy in Tel Aviv

Less Info
Back Play Forward
  • Margot Lipmann, Self-Portrait, 1906 Colored pencil, 18.4x13.8. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, purchase, 1944
  • Maurycy Minkowski, Yom Kippur, 1906 Oil on canvas, 135x175. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of the Students Union, Königsberg, 1936-1937
  • Eugen Spiro, Susi, Käthe and Lotte, 1910 Oil on canvas, 103x25. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Gift of Mrs. M. Gruenfeld, London, 1966, through the British Friends of the Art Museums of Israel
  • Café Bauer Greetings from Merry Berlin, Postcard, 10x14. Collection Ilan Roth, Herzlyia
  • Jozef Israëls, Expectation, undated Watercolor, 21x28. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Anonymous Gift, 1940
  • David Kohn, Studies of a Rabbi, c. 1900 Red chalk, 61x48. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Herman Lorber, New York, 1955
  • Leonid Pasternak, Portrait of Joel Engel, 1910 Oil on canvas, 96x76. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Feiwel Schapira, Tel Aviv, c. 1931
  • Lesser Ury, A Gentleman Reading in a Coffee House, c. 1910 Pastel, 41x55. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Arieh Shenkar, Tel Aviv, 1944
  • Eugen Spiro, Female Portrait, 1909 Oil on canvas, 116x81. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, purchase, 1969
  • Eugen Spiro, Cantor Marcus Schwarzberg, 1894 Oil on canvas, 70x50. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Mrs. Magda Matalon, Kiryat Motzkin, 1939
  • Henryk Glicenstein, The Artist and his Family, 1912 Wood, bas-relief, 20x63. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Hugo Dreyfuss, New York, 1989, through the American Friends of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art
  • Joseph Gabowicz, Workman Eating, undated Plaster, h. 34. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of the Artist, 1933-1935
  • Frank Lewis Emanuel, Seascape, c. 1880 Watercolor, 23x32. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift through the British Friends of the Art Museums of Israel, 1963
  • Fritz Lederer, Bocche di Lattaro, undated Woodcut, 31x22.5. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, acquisition
  • Lazar Krestin, In the Cheder, 1913 Oil on canvas, 90x110. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of S. M. Wald, Brussels, 1938
  • Leopold Bernard Bernstamm, Leo Tolstoy, undated Bronze, 35.5x24.5x17.5. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, estate of Rachel Trilling, London, 1969
  • Samuel HIrszenberg, Tashlich, 1907 Pastel, 61x47. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Prof. Otto Warburg, Berlin, c. 1932
  • Lesser Ury, Italian Landscape, undated Oil (grisaille) on canvas, 70.5x50.5. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Mrs. Rivka Shenkar, Tel Aviv, 1969
  • Lesser Ury, Street Scene with Couple, undated Oil on canvas, 70.5x50.5. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, bequest of Prof. Max Marcus, Ramat Gan, 1985
  • Maurycy Minkowski, After the Pogrom, 1905 Oil on canvas, 148x114. Collection Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Michael Zagajski, Warsaw, 1936-1937