Exhibitions

Past Exhibitions

Wooden Synagogues

Alois Breyer, El Lissitzky, Frank Stella: 
Wooden Synagogues

The Museum’s rare collection of photographs and drawings by Alois Breyer (1885–1948) of East-European wooden synagogues destroyed in WWII is presented to the public for the first time. The exhibition stages a dialogue between more than a hundred works by Breyer, Frank Stella (b. 1936) and El Lissitzky (1890–1941), showing how geometric abstraction transforms the language, narrative and beauty of the synagogues into a modern and contemporary idiom.

 

Installation Photographs

 Recommended Reading

OPENING DATE:

Friday 11 July 2014

CLOSING DATE:

Saturday 18 October 2014

LOCATION:

Simon and Marie Jaglom Pavilion for Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Art, Main Building

CURATOR:

Dr. Batsheva Goldman-Ida | Catalogue

CREDITS:

The exhibition and catalogue were made possible through the support of the David Berg Foundation, New York, and with the assistance of the Austrian Cultural Forum Tel Aviv

Less Info
Back Play Forward
  • El Lissitzky (1890, Russia–1941, USSR), A hungry cat ate up the goat, from the series Had Gadya, 1918-1919, gouache and India ink on paper, 28x23 cm, donated by Israel Pollak, Tel Aviv, with assistance from the British Friends of the Art Museums in Israel, London, 1979
  • Alois Breyer (1885-1948, Austria), entrance from the south-west, Zabłudów Synagogue, 1910–1913, albumen print, 35x50 cm, gift of Alois Breyer, 1937
  • El Lissitzky (1890 Russia – 1941, USSR), One small goat Papa bought for two zuzim, from the series Had Gadya, 1918-1919, gouache and India ink on paper, 28x23 cm, donated by Israel Pollak, Tel Aviv, with assistance from the British Friends of the Art Museums in Israel, 1979
  • Alois Breyer (1885, Vöslau, Austria – 1948, Baden bei Wien), Hvizdets' (formerly: Gwoździec) Synagogue, exterior view from south, 1910–1913, albumen print, 35.5x50 cm. Collection of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Alois Breyer, Baden bei Wien, 1937. Photo: Avraham Hay
  • Alois Breyer, Synagogue, longitudinal section (C–D), view toward the so, scale 1:50, India ink, watercolor on paper, 41x52 cm. Collection of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, gift of Alois Breyer, Baden bei Wien, 1937. Photo: Avraham Hay
  • El Lissitzky (1890 Russia–1941, USSR), Then came a dog and bit the cat, from the series Had Gadya, 1918-1919, gouache and India ink on paper, 28x23 cm, donated by Israel Pollak, Tel Aviv, with assistance from the British Friends of the Art Museums in Israel, London, 1979
  • El Lissitzky (1890 Russia–1941, USSR) And the Holy One, Blessed Be He, came and smote the Angel of Death, from the series Had Gadya, 1918-1919, gouache and India ink on paper, 28x23 cm, donated by Israel Pollak, Tel Aviv, with assistance from the British Friends of the Art Museums in Israel, London, 1979
  • Vladimir Tatlin (1885, Russia – 1953, USSR) Combination of materials: iron, wood, plaster, glass, bitumen/sand mixture, 1914 (reconstruction 2/3, 1981), 71x53x15 cm, gift from the Riklis Collection of the McCrory Corporation, New York, through the American Friends of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, 1987
  • אלואיז ברייר (1885 - 1948, אוסטריה), חתך רוחבי (א-ב), מראה לכיוון מערב,בית הכנסת בפצ'ניז'ין, קנ"מ 1:50, 1913-1910, דיות וצבע מים על נייר, 48.5x‏35 ס"מ, מתנת אלויאיז ברייר, באדן ביי וין, 1937