About the Library
The Library at Tel Aviv Museum of Art, founded in 1938 at the Museum's first residence at Dizengoff House on Rothschild Boulevard, was the first library in Israel with a focus on art. Its first book collection was based on individual donations. In 1972, with the Museum's move to Shaul Hamelech Boulevard, the Library expanded and developed rapidly thanks to a grant from the Helena Rubinstein Foundation. Since then, the Library continues to expand thanks to supporters and donors, including the Marc Rich Foundation and the American Friends of the Museum. In 2011, the library relocated to the new Herta and Paul Amir building, and was renamed the Art Library in the Memory of Meir Arison, donated by the Ted Arison Family Foundation. At the new location, the Library's collection of books and periodicals extends over two spacious floors with bright daylight and modern stylish furniture offering a pleasant work environment for readers and visitors.
The Library has about 75,000 books, 90 printed periodicals and electronic journals, a collection of multimedia and computer databases and is well-known for its comprehensive collection of visual arts, photography, architecture and design. The collection is updated and growing through an ongoing acquisition thanks to the generous support of the Ted Arison Family Foundation, and through a catalog-exchange program with museums and galleries in Israel and important museums around the world. Thus the Library represents the art research and the contemporary artistic practice in Israel and abroad.
One of the Library's main goals is to record artistic activity in Israel. To this end, various published materials are centralized within the framework of the Documentation Center for Israeli Art.